Skillz supports Apple Pay but requires some additional steps to get it up and running in your game. In this guide we will show you how to enable Apple Pay in just a few short steps.
Step 1: Generate a ECC 256bit CSR
First you will need to generate a CSR file with specific key pair settings using Keychain Access.
Key Size should be specified as
256 bits, and
Algorithm should be specified as
Step 2: Certificate Generation
Begin by registering a Merchant ID via the Apple Provisioning Portal. Typically this follows a similar to pattern to bundle id, e.g.
After registering a Merchant ID, you will then need to enable Apple Pay for your game’s App ID.
You’ll now be able to generate your certificate using the CSR you generated via Keychain Access earlier.
Download the resulting certificate file (.cer), which you will turn into a .p12 file in the next step.
Step 3: Change Certificate to a .p12
The certificate you have downloaded is a .cer file, which you will need to change to a .p12 file before uploading to Skillz.
- Once you have downloaded the .cer, open Keychain Access on your computer.
- Import the certificate you created in the previous step by selecting File -> Import Items.
- Select the Certificates category.
- Select your game’s APNS certificate:
- Select File -> Export Items.
- Save as a Personal Information Exchange (.p12) file.
- You will be prompted to create a password. Make note of this password, as you will need it when you upload to Skillz.
- Save the file in a secure place so that you can retrieve it later.
After you create a .p12 file from the Apple provided .cer, you can upload the .p12 file and provide the password to Skillz on our Apple Pay page under the Configuration section.
Step 4: Xcode Setup
You will now need to update your entitlements file. This is done through Xcode.
Begin by regenerating and re-downloading the provisioning profiles for your game in the Apple Provisioning Portal. This will ensure they have all updated information regarding Apple Pay. In Xcode, open the capabilities tab for your game’s target, and enable Apple Pay. Select the Merchant ID you created earlier.
Confirm the proper entry has been added to the entitlements file for your game.
Finally, add PassKit as a weakly linked framework to your project. This can be done one of two ways:
(These options are identical in effect, it’s up to personal preference.)
Option 1: Add
weak_framework PassKit to
Other Linker Flags in your project’s Build Settings.
OR Option 2: Add PassKit to
Link Binary With Libraries section of your project’s Build Phases, and mark as Optional.
You should now be able to complete a deposit via Apple Pay!
Step 5: Test Apple Pay
When testing Apple Pay, be sure that:
- You are on a device that supports Apple Pay
- You have Apple Pay setup on your device
- The credit card on file is supported by Skillz (Visa, Mastercard)
Please note: We only show the Apple Pay button to players if they meet the above conditions.
You will then need to test Apple Pay using a real credit card. But don’t worry, as long as the game is in Sandbox environment, your credit card will not be charged!